Llanmaes House is an imposing Grade II* listed Georgian house of great character, set back behind stone walls and iron railings and secreted by its well stocked gardens. It is a landmark house of heritage and history within a highly sought after Vale of Glamorgan village.
The exact early history of Llanmaes House is obscure although it is thought that the property was probably built around 1540 by James Turbervill. The Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales in their Book 'Glamorgan-The Greater Houses' gives much of the history from the early 1600's reporting that 'the existing house, though incorporating part of an earlier building and enlarged in the 19th century, provides an example of the renaissance style, with a central stair and panelled rooms'. It goes on to describe in some detail many of the features that make this such a fascinating house and such a pleasure to view.
The property is situated adjacent to the Parish Church of St. Cadoc in the ancient part of the Village which now provides an attractive combination of old and new dwellings. The Village of Llanmaes has enjoyed the 'Best Kept Village in the Vale of Glamorgan' Award on a number of occasions and has also received a 'Community Spirit' Award. There is a Village pub, 'The Blacksmith Arms', but most facilities are a few minutes drive away in the Town of Llantwit Major, whilst a range of quality shops, restaurants and other facilities are available at the historic Market Town of Cowbridge. Major centres such as Cardiff, Bridgend, Llantrisant and Barry are all within easy commuting distance. The Heritage Coast, with its beautiful cliff top walks and mixture of sandy and stony beaches, lies to the west and the south.
This provides a welcoming first impression as one enters the house and features an early 18th century, wide staircase with turned balusters and adjacent wall panelled to dado with moulded rail.
21' x 14' 9" (6.40m x 4.50m)
An elegant principal reception room which features early 18th century bolection-moulded panelling. The focal point is a fireplace with marble surround and over-mantle. French door opening to the side garden and two Georgian windows with panelled shutters and window seats, enjoying views of the garden.
15' 5" x 15' 7" (4.70m x 4.74m)
A well proportioned room featuring a brick lined, inglenook-style fireplace with working grate, copper hood, 'pot boiler-style plinths' to either side and an oak over-mantle and fire surround. West facing sash window with fitted seat below.
13' 3" x 13' 1" (4.05m x 4.00m)
South-facing sash window with window seat overlooking the front garden. Fireplace to the corner with gas coal effect stove. Oak block floor.
16' 2" x 15' (4.94m x 4.56m)
A most impressive room situated just off the mezzanine landing at rear garden level. Oak panelled walls with panelling in large fields with dado and cornice. The recesses flanking the fireplace and the entry to the room have matching panelled doors with original brass locks. Ornate plastered ceiling Deep, south- facing bay window overlooking the side garden plus two windows with window seats enjoying views over the delightful rear gardens.
13' 2" x 12' 3" (4.02m x 3.74m) maximum
Also leading off the Mezzanine landing, the conservatory is finished in double glazed units and enjoys a splendid view over the rear garden with doorway opening to a terraced area.
17' (5.17m) to 19' 3" x 11' 11" (5.87m x 3.64m)
This room provides a good family arrangement, having sufficient space for an informal dining table and chairs. The kitchen is fitted with a range of matching wall and base cupboard units with cream painted panelled doors and drawer fronts, together with solid oak food preparation. Range of fitted appliances plus four door, refurbished 1950's classic-style gas fired Aga in dark green.
The landing is at various levels. A window at the upper landing overlooks the rear garden. Access to the landing is also gained via the secondary staircase from the kitchen. A passageway off the landing also leads down to a rear garden door which provides potential to create a separate suite with its own external access. This passageway includes a leaded glass window featuring two 'coats of arms'
12' 0" x 11' 3" (3.67m x 3.43m)
Currently used as a study but potentially a double bedroom or en-suite bathroom to bedroom (2) Westerly facing sash window with window seat. Original cast iron grate to corner fireplace.
15' 9" x 15' 5" (4.79m x 4.69m)
The principal bedroom features a westerly facing sash window with fitted window seat. Oak floor. Recess of former fireplace. Door to en-suite dressing room.
22' 2" x 15' 3" (6.75m x 4.65m)
Spacious double bedroom which features sash windows to both the southern and western aspects. Corner fireplace with hearth and mantle.
Billard Room/Bedroom 3
Another spacious bedroom currently used as a Billiard / Snooker room. Bay window provides a fine view over the mature, rear garden. Blocked off, stone and brick open fireplace with hearth and wooden mantle shelf over.
Double bedroom with window overlooking the side garden. Panelled doors to double size airing cupboard.
White suite with chrome fittings.
This double bedroom features a magnificent coved and ornately decorated ceiling of a similar style to the Oak Room. Two secondary glazed sash windows provide a view of the rear garden. Attractive hog grate fireplace.
This upper floor potentially provides ideal accommodation as a separate staff flat or granny flat.
Double bedroom with westerly facing window, fitted wardrobes. Door to bathroom (3). Doorway through to
Dressing Room/Bedroom 7
Double bedroom with westerly facing window
'Llanmaes House' stands in approximately 2.448 acres of grounds and has been the subject of considerable time, expenditure and expertise by the current owners. The front garden is entered from the road by steps and through a pair of Ashlar gate-piers and surmounted by pineapple shaped vases; the walls of the court with ramped ends have a moulded coping. This is very much a courtyard garden with formal lawn quartered by flagstone paths and surrounded by well stocked borders and mature shrubs.
The principal gardens lie to the rear and feature extensive lawned areas with mature trees and shrubs, small pond etc. There is a large paved patio with access from the conservatory. Adjacent to the feature pond is an octagonal hand built summer house of generous proportions. This delightful mature garden offers ever changing vistas as you explore all its nooks and crannies and provides a perfect setting for this delightful house. In the grounds around the house is a small square dovecote dating from about 1700. Other features include kitchen garden and orchard. A splendid pair of wrought iron gates set between stone pillars and approached via a flight of steps lead to a large rear
within which there is a En Tout Cas all weather Tennis Court, resurfaced in 2009 and new chain-link fence, net and posts. A range of outbuildings include Double Garage with 'up and over' doorway and electric power. Various other storage sheds.
A second paddock, with vehicular access off an unmade lane, within which there is a stone-built Stable block with 3 boxes. Further garage / store.
Mains water, electricity, drainage and gas